Thursday, May 04, 2006

Longing for a Homeland (after Homecoming)

The title of this post is the title of Lynn Anderson's latest book. I just finished reading it a few weeks ago and it has caused me to reflect on a lot of things. The timing of reading it was an act of God, I'm sure. I had just gotten back to Oklahoma from a visit to Regina for Homecoming, packing a few more things, and closing a few "doors" in my life.
While I was home, I sat in church at WCC Sunday morning with an amazing collaboration of people; reunion attendees who had surely experienced a range of emotion over the weekend, currect WCC students or recent graduates who (in my opinion) have no idea what their friends will mean to them in 20 or 30 years and how crucial this time is, and Regina C of Cers not connected to WCC at all who I'm sure think that this WCC family is tight and a little twisted at times (probably feeling twangs of exclusion from that Western "experience").
As I sat there, I reflected on my "Regina life." Regina is the core of who I am! I have lived there for 3/4 of my lifetime. Yet, due to recent events, I couldn't help but to overcome emotions from feeling and experiencing loss: 1) I no longer have a physical home in Regina. I hate that I have to think about where I will stay, who I will inconvenience, when I come "home." This was compounded by the realization that 850 Connaught St. wasn't going to be part of my routine any more, especially if it gets sold. Oh the memories!! 2) Time will distance me from my Glen Elm family. I've become horrible at initiating contact and I will drift away from mentors, pillars from the older generation, and peers who have been intricately crucial to my life this last 2 years. The scariest part of drifting away from friends for me is my fear that they will doubt their importance to my life, which is the farthest thing from the truth. 3) The part of my foundation that was built on people in my life was crumbling as well; parents and friends who, for different reasons, were no longer going to be the spiritual support and encouragement I needed. Letting go when I felt like running towards them, being selfish, and holding on for dear life, really kicks me in the stomach!
After fighting these thoughts and feelings, Lynn's book really shook me up. It was even more emotion to read because Lynn is from Horse Creek, SK, and as he told stories about people from home and growing apart from Canada, it seemed so real to me. Mentions of JC Bailey, Mark Elford, Western Christian College, Miss Torkelson, and many others made me long for home. But the whole point that he continued to drive home chapter after chapter was that people and places are not our home. We cannot live a life longing for the way things were or desiring to be somewhere that we are not. Our life is about longing for a homeland in Heaven! These sad thoughts and struggles have been pushing me more and more to realize that my relationship with God is the most important. Knowing that He will never let me down and my reward with Him will be better than anything in this life is where my focus needs to be!
I wish I could type out a quote from the book, but I lent it out. So here are a few reminders from scripture.
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6
11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[b]That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. 14So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him." 2 Peter 3

Regina/ WCC/ Glen Elm friends and family- Know that I love you all, I always will, and nothing will change how important you are to me. You hold a special spot in my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
So good to hear from you and reflect on your reflections. I must get a copy of the book and read for myself. Know that while distance sometimes takes us away from those we love, the connection is still there and the love remains strong and deep. I read just today the quote: "True friends are like stars. We can't always see them, but we know that they are there." Know that we will always be here for you, just as we know that you will remain a true and loyal friend to each of us. You are a special part of our Regina memories and will remain a special part of our lives, no matter what the distance is between us. A bed will always await you, we will welcome you with joy and will never feel inconvenienced.
Love, Barb

Jill Slywka said...

Hey Manda,
Nice to see you getting in on the blogging thing as well. I can entirely understand the feelings that you describe here, because I have had much of those same feelings over this past year. I long for Regina alot, but I also know that I have to make the most of the moment that I am in, while also longing for my true home, and living my life in preparation for that.

So good to hear from you on here. We will have to meet on MSN soon. It has been a while since we were able to chat, and I would love to catch up with you. Take care, and talk to you soon. Love you.

Jilly