Saturday, July 04, 2009

It's Official!


So I think it's slightly ironic that on July 3rd I received my permanent resident card! Just in time for everyone to probably give me a hard time about that on "America's the best country in the world!" Day! (Please know me well enough to know that was completely sarcastic.) These last 11 months this process has been on my mind. The paperwork was terrible, the wait was horrible, the interview was really no biggie at all, and now I have the card. I don't feel any different of course. The card is so intricate that I now understand why it cost $1400!! Maybe if half that cost didn't go towards the printing of that piece of plastic, it would be more affordable for all us illegal immigrants to become legal!!!

Now, I wait..... AGAIN! Wait til we get on our feet enough to think about going back to Canada for a visit. I have missed Regina and all it's fine people, the few special ones that live in Winnipeg and just plain Saskatchewan spring and summer a lot lately! A few weddings and anniversaries have past already this summer..... making me realize YOU PEOPLE SHOULD ALL HAVE FACEBOOK! I've tried to call a few.... TIM, YOUR PHONE NUMBER DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! It's weird how much the realization that life has gone on without me is more than that.... life will continue to go on without me. So instead of crying and saulking about this (which I do on occasion), I have challenged myself to be a better friend! I am going to have to perfect this character flaw or time will only separate me more.

For those of you who have known me most of my life, you know how much this pains me. To JO, TK. DE, CE, LA, TR, JS, TB and all your spouses and parents, if/as I continue to fail at this attempt, please forgive me. I love you all and miss you terribly. My failed attempt to remain a dear friend has cost me this last year. (Strangely, probably the second hardest year I have ever experienced.) The past 29 years (almost) will always mark your deep importance and role in my life and time will never lessen that! I hope to same is true for you!

So as I look ahead to the life God has brought me, it does bring mixed emotions, honestly. I am so blessed by my husband, his family, and those who have impacted my life already in the last 11 months. He is my best friend, my partner in ministry, the one I dream with. I believe I have the best of both worlds here in Colorado; the weather and the relative distance to SK and TX. But I will always long for the simple life of Canada! I think this is evident in what I did this morning when I woke up to this 4th of July! I MADE PUFFED WHEAT CAKE AND NANAIMO BARS! HAHAHA

2 comments:

Jill Slywka said...

friend! i miss you, and i am so glad to hear that you are doing well! i think of you often, even though i never get to see you! :)

i'm in estonia right now ... loving every minute! so many great people here!

we'll have to catch up sometime soon!

love you lots!

Nic said...

good photos. i'll come visit sometime soon.