Friday, October 26, 2007

It's news and it's big!!!


The story is... I'm moving to St. Louis next week, so I had to go to Canada to change employers on my work visa before I start my new job in St. Louis on Nov. 5th. I already had planned to be in St. Louis last weekend before the whole job thing came up, so it was "convenient" to just drive to Ontario. So I got off the plane from a week in Denver on Friday at 10:30, we left STL around 2:30 after some issues that we had to smooth out with my new employment letter, got it pre-approved by the border patrol in Sarnia/Port Huron and drove to Ann Arbor, MI. We stayed Friday night with a friend who used to go to OC and woke up Saturday morning and drove across the bridge at Detroit, then on to Niagara Falls. We had lunch and walked around for a few hours. Caleb had already done some research on some of the touristy things we could do. So we were going to do two. We did the "Journey under the Falls" where you ride the elevator down and walk to look out underneath and walk out beside where they come down. We walked from that end by Horseshoe Falls to the bridge to Buffalo. We saw the Skywheel, so we decided to go there for the second thing. On our first big time date, Caleb surprised me by taking me to the Oklahoma State Fair last September. We picked three rides that night and OF COURSE I had to pick a Ferris wheel because it was the first time I was at a fair with a boy! I love Ferris wheels! Caleb really wanted to see if we could walk across the bridge because there was a Canadian and an American flag in the middle. But when we finally got over there, we had to have our passports and ID to go threw. We didn't want to mess with it since we had to deal with my work Visa, so we just turned back. So we headed for the Ferris wheel. I was so excited to find the biggest Tim Horton's I've ever seen!! Anyway, we finally got on the Ferris wheel. I'd been trying for two or three weeks not to get my hopes up because I knew that taking this Canadian to Niagara Falls would be an amazing opportunity to possible as a big question. But Caleb had made a few comments that really made me think that it wasn't going to happen that day. Once we got on the Ferris wheel (which is completely enclosed), he sat across from me instead of beside which was so weird. But when the door closed, he started to sing. This is not completely random since music and singing is so much of who Caleb is. The song was new though. That was the weird thing about it. So at first I kind of playful said "why are you being funny?." But when I spoke, he just kept on singing. He got a bit of a funny look on his face, so then I started to panic or wonder, "Is this it?!!?!" It was a mix of complete excitement and panic that I was getting my hopes up and would be disappointed. So he finished and asked the question!!! I hugged him so fast that he didn't even have time to open the box. So after he sat up beside me, he finally said, "Do you want to see it!?!?" haha (The ring, of course!)
So we finished the ride by taking pictures of each other and the falls from the top. then walked around a little more and bought some souvenirs before we headed back to the border to get my paperwork done and get back to Ann Arbor to sleep.

What a day?!?!!

We are hoping the wedding will be in early August. Location TBA.

Love you all!

(Sorry it's taken this long to write this story. I am in charge of registration at World Mission Workshop here at OC this weekend. So since I got back on Monday at noon, I've been doing nothing else! I'm sorry if I didn't get to call you myself.)

4 comments:

Jill Slywka said...

How sweet! I am SO SO happy for you! I wish I could give you a great big hug right now, and admire your ring - but that will have to wait until I get to see you again!

Enjoy your days! Exciting times in your life right now - so soak it all up! You deserve it!

Love ya!

jerms said...

congrats.

chelsey said...

again, congratulations! i'm so excited for you!

and... if you haven't already found a photographer, i know a pretty good one ;)

- Chelsey

Anonymous said...

You know what Amanda? I was just in Niagra Falls for my honeymoon. Really, you can't go wrong with big water falls. Or vacation.

So have fun planning a wedding and getting married and stuff like that. Oh, and congratulations.

Joyce Taylor-Armstrong