Sunday, October 07, 2007

Why does change always sneak up on us?

As I sit here this afternoon, I've decided to take a moment to relax and reflect. I'm feeling rather homesick today. These days are few and far between, but today it is evident. With the amazing, exciting and oh so cute phone call I received from Dauphin last night at about 11, I was exstatic, yes, but overwhelmed by the realization that one of my best friends is making the greatest decision of his life and I going to miss out on all of it... hopefully not his wedding day, but that's possible too. These moments I will miss out on are what scares me and makes me emotional about being so far from home. Don't get me wrong, though! If it is to be, I am thankful, so happy, and overly content to live the rest of my life with the man I love, no matter where that might be. But there are days when I want to hold on to the past and everyone back home, days when I can't imagine that those at home are going to miss out on the big moments in my life.
So, if you read the post I just added a few minutes ago, I'm sure you interest was peaked by the idea of a job interview in St. Louis. I have been packing once again. Getting ready for the next stage in my life. I got a job at Sanford-Brown College in St. Peters, MO, as an Admissions Representative. Right between Caleb's and Dardenne Prairie cofC. God has amazing plans! WOW! How much more perfect could it be? Some of you are probably think, "Amanda, why are you so stuck on Admissions?" Well, a) It's what I'm good at, so just let me be. (I've faced an amazing number of people that don't get that.) It is the one thing in my life that I actually excel at. and b) my work Visa is to be a "vocational counselor" so that is my only ticket to employment in the US right now.
What a weird feeling though? I am so sad to be leaving OC; my "kids," the job that I have always known that I am gifted at and a life that has kept me insanly busy, never is the same, and allows me to share Christ to families and college students. But at the same time, I want the next four weeks to go by so quickly because I'm ready for life to become what I have invisioned it to be for the last several month. I love "DPcC"! They seem to love me. I can see myself becoming involved there so easily. The families are great! So I will be working a strickly 40hr/wk job which will be a little more professional, most with adult students, more specific in academic fields, and yet I know I will still be able to bring my own personal and caring approach that OC has taught me so well. I'm going to miss the OC office. These are my best friends in the good ol' US ofA. But my ministry is still going to be mine and I am so excited to begin to learn how to share and work in ministry with the man I love.
The next four weeks are going to be tough on me. Especially b/c I don't get to spend 11 of those days here. I know that some of you feel like I'm bailing on you. But please know, I am loyal. I am always here. And you can always come visit St. Louis!!!! It is a really cool town, I promise!
There is still the small glitch of changing my work visa. Please pray that that goes smoothly. Caleb and I are driving to cross the border at Sarnia on Oct. 19th. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! wow how exciting! I hope everything works out great, I'll be praying for you.

Jill Slywka said...

hey you. you've been on my mind a lot lately - just been wondering how you are, and what's new with you. sounds like exciting things are ahead - and i'm thrilled for you! i know what you mean about being sentimental about where you've come from though, and what you have to leave behind. i've been feeling like that myself some lately as well.

by the way, sarnia is pretty close to me! how long are you going to be there for?

miss you friend. we'll have to arrange a chat sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

:-O

I'm surprised, but very happy for you. It's been fun having you around, even if we haven't spent a lot of time together since you've been working at OC.